- MediShield Life will cover everyone
All Singaporeans will benefit from MediShield Life protection regardless of health status, throughout their lives.
- Age limit of 92 will be lifted – all Singaporeans will enjoy coverage for life
- Those with pre-existing conditions will also be covered
- MediShield Life will offer better protection
MediShield Life will provide better protection against large hospital bills and selected subsidised outpatient treatments such as dialysis and chemotherapy for cancer.
- Higher payouts so patients pay less.
- Premiums will be affordablewith Government Support
Premiums will go up because of better protection and coverage for all but Government will provide support to keep it affordable
- Everybody will also pay a little more to help to bring in those with pre-existing conditions (no more than 3% of current premiums). Individuals with pre-existing conditions will need to pay more. However the Government will take on the bulk of the cost (about 75%).
- Singaporeans pay more when working so that premiums rise by less when older: this is distributing premiums more evenly over ourlifetime.
- To keep premiums affordable, the Government will provide:
- Premium subsidies to the Pioneer Generation and the lower-to-middle income
- Additional Premium Support will be offered to those who need more help even after premium subsidies
- Transitional subsidies for all Singaporeans for the first four years. This is over and above the premium subsidies for lower-to-middle-income and the Pioneer Generation
- Medisave top-ups for the Pioneer Generation for life and for those aged 55-64 in 2014 for the next 5 years.
- Premiums can be fully paid for from Medisave. Premium subsidies, Medisave top-ups and the additional 1% employer Medisave contribution will help cover the increase in premiums for most.
- Premium details can be found in Annex A .
- MediShield Life will provide better coverage, but Integrated Shield Plans remain available. Opt for the right protection for you and your family.
- An Integrated Shield Plan offered by private insurers consists of two parts – the basic MediShield plan and a top-up portion.
- When implemented, MediShield Life will replace the current MediShield portion of your Integrated Shield Plan.
- MediShield Life will cover your stay at Class B2/C wards, while Integrated Shield Plan will provide coverage for higher ward classes, such as Class A/B1 and private hospitals
- MediShield Life will start at end 2015. For more information: MediShield Life